Poison Prevention Awareness Month

In honor of Poison Prevention Awareness Month, here is a list of items and foods that should not be consumed by our pets and if they are, immediate medical attention should be sought:

  1. Over-the-Counter Human Medications – For example, Ibuprofen, Tylenol, medications containing xylitol
  2. Human Prescription Medications
  3. Human Food – For example, onions, garlic, grapes, raisins, caffeine, alcohol, excessive amounts of salt, foods containing the sugar substitute xylitol
  4. Chocolate
  5. Plants – For example, lilies, sago palm, tulips
  6. Household Toxins – For example, cleaning supplies like bleach, recreational drugs, ammonia
  7. Improperly Administered Veterinary Products
  8. Rodenticides
  9. Insecticides
  10. Garden Products

Symptoms can include, but are not limited to:

  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhea
  • Excessive drooling
  • Lack of coordination
  • Weakness/lethargy
  • Collapse
  • Excessive thirst/urination
  • Unusual behavior

If you think your pet has consumed a toxic substance, immediately call the 24/7 ASPCA Poison Control Hotline at (888) 426-4435 (there may be a small fee applied to this call) and should they suggest being seen by a Veterinarian, immediately call your veterinarian or go to your nearest Emergency Veterinary Hospital. Be sure to bring the container or item with you or take a picture of the ingredient list from the item that was consumed, if possible. Always be transparent with your veterinarian about what your pet may have ingested to ensure timely and appropriate care. Poisons can act fast, so it is important to react quickly if any are ingested.